My name is Kathy, and I was both delighted and honored to be invited by Greg to join the HealthTransformation.net family as a contributor and author. In addition to creating articles that will cover some of things I’m most passionate about in life (healthy cooking, spirituality, and wellness product reviews since I’m a “review fanatic”), there is another thing that (after a lot of encouragement and support from both Greg and Martin) I’ll be posting: my personal journey back to better health and fitness.
About the Health Transformation YouTube Channel
A while back, I created a YouTube channel to help support this website, and when I started it, the initial plan was to hide behind a pen name and never, ever show my face.
The decision to come out from behind the veil of anonymity was truly scary for me because I have a life-long history of a classic fear of rejection and ridicule. My dad brought me up to be one of those people who, “if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.” Regrettably, many people – both online and in “real life” – do not follow that code. So, when I’ve been a target of comments about my looks (especially), I’ve pretty much made it a habit to slink into the background where no one can see me.
Many articles and videos I’ve made in the past were anonymous, and that became a pretty comfortable place from which to operate.
Problems with Remaining Anonymous
There are a few problems with that, however – especially when writing and reviewing products:
- If I don’t show people who I am – who the person behind the work really is – it may not seem as genuine or as credible as it could be.
- It’s very easy for me to fall into a state of non-activity if no one knows I’m even there. After all, if you don’t know I’m there, you won’t have any expectations from me. And, that’s just not a healthy place to be as far as I’m concerned.
- Hiding who I am – with all my imperfections and faults – simply continues to reinforce various fears. I’ve spent far too many years of my life living fearfully when there is no reason for it.
Thanks to people like Greg and Martin, who accept me for who I am and encourage my progress and journey, I’ve taken the first step and put my face on the YouTube channel.
In addition to publicly identifying myself, there are a couple of other things that I’ll be sharing publicly, with the hopes of encouraging others who may be struggling with (or merely interested in) some of the same challenges:
- In the past year, thanks in large part to my participation in Crossfit and similar style workouts, I’ve dropped about 15 pounds. I have more to go – a LOT more, but I’m going to be sharing this progress with anyone who may be interested. This is another reason for me to go public. “Before and after” stories are one thing; it’s another thing entirely to track the progress along the way.
- Over the past 20 or so years, my consumption of alcohol spiraled to what I feel was an alarming amount. Red wine has always been my adult beverage of choice. And I have drunk a lot of it. I’ll probably do a video about that. Maybe more than one. Since embarking on this project here at HealthTransformation.net, I’m pleased to report that I’ve made progress with this particular challenge. But the journey and road ahead remains.
There you have it. Perhaps it’s more than you wanted to know about one of the authors here at the site. Nonetheless, it’s the best way I know of to get started on the right foot – totally out in the open.
And now there’s no turning back! If you are interested, please subscribe to the channel, and of course stay tuned to HealthTransformation.net where there are a lot of contributors covering an endless variety of topics!
See you again soon,
What do you think?