Summer is a great time to relax and focus on personal projects that you don’t get to focus on during the rest of the year. Even if you are working during the summer, the longer days, warm weather, and relaxed aura of summer afford the right mindset for personal growth. This summer, focus on the habits and activities that will help you to improve your mental and physical wellbeing! Try out these 5 tips for a health-focused summer.
- Start a yoga ritual. Yoga is an amazing practice for health-focused people to pick up. Not only do the stretches and movements contribute to the strength and health of your muscles, tendons, ligaments, and bones, but the meditative mindset one has while practicing yoga can contribute to all sorts of other health benefits.Reducing stress, for instance, can lower your risk of heart disease. The breathing exercises involved in yoga can also help you feel more focused, calm, and at ease in daily life – something I’m sure we could all benefit from! It’s important to remember that health is a holistic state of being. Doing things that improve your entire being, from bodily wellness to spiritual satisfaction, can have an overall positive effect in places you might not have thought it could! Including a healthy dose of stretching and spirituality could be just what you need to feel happier and healthier this summer.
- Eat more vegetables.“Your body is its own best medicine.” – Unknown.By eating healthily, you provide your body with the nutrients it needs to heal and grow in the ways it naturally knows how to. Eating whole veggies can provide all sorts of vitamins, minerals, and micronutrients that you just can’t get by eating too much meat or processed food. You might even consider going vegan or vegetarian! Plant-based diets are much healthier, friendlier to animals, and easier on the Earth.Eating meat is one of the biggest risk factors for heart disease and some cancers! And while there are plenty of processed plant-based foods out there, if you want an extra healthy choice, opt for whole-food veggies and products with as few ingredients as possible. Even if you don’t completely swear off meat, reducing your consumption and adding in a healthy serving of veggies with dinner will certainly benefit you.
- Remember to take care of you skin. Your skin is your largest organ. It stretches over your entire body, and protects you from contaminants in the environment. Summer would be a great time to show that hard-working organ a little love, don’t you think? Consider starting up a skin-care regimen, including frequent moisturizing, luxurious baths, and protection from the sun. That last one is especially important during the summer months.Any time you plan on spending more than a few minutes outside, you should definitely lather up in sunscreen – and, if you’re looking for a lighter, less greasy feel, consider trying an oil free sunscreen. Getting sunburned is the kind of bummer you’ll want to avoid this summer. Plus, frequent sunburn increases your risk for skin cancer – yikes! Best be precautious and wear sunscreen, hats when you can, and remember to take breaks in the shade if you’re spending hours outside toasting in the sun.
- Take it easy with alcohol. I know, I know – I sound like your mom. But honestly, she has a point. Drinking too much can be harmful for all sorts of different reasons, and especially when you’re out in the sun all day, it’s an easy way to get incredibly dehydrated. A few drinks every now and then never hurt anyone, but it’s important to remember to be mindful about drinking too much. Know your limits, and remember to stick to them.Try drinking teas or fruit juices instead!
- That said, drink water! The last tip, and maybe the most important, that I have for you is to start regularly drinking water. Water is one of the most easily neglected parts of a healthy diet, with many people opting for high-sugar beverages like soda or juice instead. A good habit to get into is to order water any time you go to a restaurant, bring a reusable bottle with you to work and try to drink and refill it at least three times a day!