While we were researching Branched-Chain Amino Acid supplements earlier, it became increasingly apparent that there are more people interested in BCAAs than ever. There is no doubt that these have enjoyed a recent surge in popularity in the body building and fitness communities.
And for female bodybuilders, BCAAs are especially helpful when it comes to maintaining muscle mass whether they are on low-calorie diets or just working out at a much higher intensity than the average person.
While dieting is an essential part of health, fitness, and a healthy physique, it can also erode muscle mass due to the low-calorie intake – especially if one is on an extreme diet while participating in vigorous and intense exercise programs.
I have seen this myself since joining a CrossFit gym where a lot of the women enjoy a very high level of fitness that currently I can only dream about.
As is the case with most nutritional supplements on the market, there is a wide range and quality of products to choose from. Doing your due diligence beforehand and learning about some of the best brands and what they have to offer can help get you started on the right path to a toned and sculpted body, and a healthy lifestyle.
Benefits of Using BCAAs
For women wanting to maintain a healthy body weight and muscle mass, it is sometimes hard to balance.
We all know how much dieting helps in terms of keeping down unwanted body fat, but it is also known how disruptive low-calorie diets, especially when it comes to protein, can be in terms of building up or maintaining muscle mass.
This ‘catabolic crisis’ refers to the disharmony between low calories, protein, amino acid levels, and muscle mass. While widely recognized in individuals who are bed-ridden or reaching an advanced age, it’s not always the first thing one might think about in very active individuals.
Dieting results in the breakdown of muscle tissue for a few reasons. Leaner bodies lose muscle mass as the body tries to retain fat stores. Reduction in muscle mass also occurs as the body increasingly breaks down protein to free the muscle amino acids needed for energy. With the reduction in energy, protein synthesis levels will also decrease.
Studies have shown that BCAAs have the power to increase protein synthesis at a cellular level. Basically, BCAAs increase the body’s protein synthesis rate while also boosting the cell’s ability and capacity to synthesize protein, while inhibiting protein breakdown.
What to Look for in Choosing the Best BCAAs for Women
When it comes to women striving for a shredded body, the best BCAA supplement is one formulated with the unique health needs of women in mind. Not only will a high-quality BCAA supplement have the ideal BCAA ratio, it will contain additional ingredients known to enhance workout efficacy and recovery, as well as ingredients that may encourage fat-loss since many women are looking for that as well.
When it comes to choosing your supplement form, many women opt for the powder option as it not only delivers the necessary BCAA content, but also provides and encourages hydration.
While we touched on this in another article about Branched Chain Amino Acids, we decided to do a compilation of what appear to be among the highest rated and best reviewed formulas. Below is a list of the 10 best BCAAs for women that we have located (at least as of this writing).
I had some help with the input of a few people using them on a regular basis, and asked them to include a few points about why they liked each one. One thing that stood out to me – which I agree with when it comes to my own preference – is that most of the women prefer a powdered form versus the tablets. Mixing a flavorful blend into the workout bottle seems to make reaching for the water bottle more often a lot more pleasant!
1) IdealLean BCAAs
- Delicious-flavored supplement made with coconut water (I use this one)
- Designed specifically for women
- Aids in maximizing weight loss while building muscle mass
- Contains no sugar or calories
- Servings contain 5gs or BCAAs and 2gs of amino acids
- Ingredient ratio reduces muscle soreness
- Provides quick workout recovery
- Powerful fat-loss blend with green tea extract, Tonalin, coconut powder, and aminos L-Citrulline and L-Glutamine
2) PrettyFit BCAA
- All-natural and stimulant-free ingredients
- Contains natural metabolism boosters
- All-natural supplement with premium ingredients
- Powder form gives hydrating potential
- Click Here or on the image below to visit the PrettyFit BCAAs product page on Amazon
3) Essential Amino Energy BCAA by Optimum Nutrition
- Serving contains 5 to 10 calories, no sugar, and 5gs of free- form amino acids
- Caffeine from natural coffee bean and green tea sources
- Gives women a boost to finish workout
- Powder form boosts hydration
- Available in multiple flavors
- Almost always seems to be in stock at Amazon
- Click Here or on the image below to visit the Essential Amino Energy BCAAs product page on Amazon
4) FitGirl RecovHer BCAA
- Improves muscle recovery
- Builds lean muscle
- Burns fat
- Specially designed for women
- Contains PH-balanced electrolyte formula to boost hydration
- Click Here or on the image below to visit the FitGirl RecovHer BCAAs product page on Amazon
5) FitMiss BCAA
- Specifically designed to meet the needs of women
- Highest quality ingredients available
- Serving contains 6gs of BCAA amino acids
- The ideal post-recovery workout beverage
- Comes in a variety of flavors
- Click Here or on the image below to visit the FitMiss BCAAs product page on Amazon
6) BEAUTY RECOVER BCAA Refuel by BeautyFit
- Rapid workout recovery formula maximizes workout potential
- Increases energy levels
- Believed to increase carbohydrate efficacy
- Increases protein synthesis
- Provides muscle hydration and prevents cramping
- Powder form promotes hydration
- Comes in appealing flavors like coconut pineapple mojito, strawberry grapefruit, ice lemonade
- Click Here or on the image below to visit the Beauty Recover BCAA Refuel product page on Amazon
7) Scivation Xtend BCAA
- Contains 7gs of BCAAs
- Ratio supports muscle growth and maintenance
- Sugar, carbohydrate, and calorie free
- Contains 3.5gs of Leucine for muscle protein synthesis
- Contains electrolytes to maintain hydration throughout workout
- Burns fat
- Builds muscle
- Aids in muscle recovery
- Click Here or on the image below to visit the Scivation Xtend BCAAs product page on Amazon
8) BPI Sports Best BCAA
- Promotes lean muscle mass
- Includes ingredients to help burn fat
- Increases muscle recovery
- Decreases protein catabolism
- Promotes nutrient transport
- Citrulline improves blood flow and oxygen delivery throughout the body
- Oligopeptides result in increased absorption levels
- Click Here or on the image below to visit the BPI Sports Best BCAAs product page on Amazon
9) Her Aminos Comprehensive Amino Acid Blend
- Branched chain amino acids build and sustain muscle growth
- Boosts muscle performance during workouts
- Provides energy and nutrients needed during workouts
- Decreases catabolic rate
- As with other blends, increases protein synthesis
- Decreases post-workout recovery time
- Click Here or on the image below to visit the Her Aminos Comprehensive Amino Acid Blend product page on Amazon
10) Natural BCAA Powder by Momsanity
- Only contains natural BCAA powder and all-natural ingredients (HUGE PLUS!)
- No artificial preservatives, sweeteners, or dyes
- Tasty fruit punch flavor
- Designed by and made for women
- Boosts muscle growth
- Reduces protein catabolism
- Boosts hydration levels to help avoid muscle cramping
- Money-back guarantee
- Click Here or on the image below to visit the Momsanity Natural BCAAs product page on Amazon
For women struggling to reach their bodybuilding goals, adding a BCAA supplement can be the missing piece of the puzzle. An effective BCAA supplement can help you get the most out of your workouts and help you reach your desired physique.