Physical therapists are medical professionals that are trained and licensed to diagnose physical abnormalities and help patients restore, promote, and maintain physical function and mobility. These professionals work in a wide range of healthcare settings, which include rehab centers, hospitals, nursing homes, sports and fitness centers, occupational settings, and even outpatient offices. Physical therapists, such as Dr. Jaymes Granata, work with patients in all phases of healing. In some cases, physical therapy can be a standalone treatment, while in other cases, it is meant to supplement other treatments. Below are some important things that you should know about the role of physical therapists in the healthcare sector.
What To Expect From A Physical Therapist
Most patients are usually referred to physical therapists by other medical practitioners. However, nothing stops patients from seeking the services of a physical therapist themselves. Whichever the route a patient takes, they can expect the therapist to:
- Perform a physical exam and do other tests to determine how flexible and mobile the muscles and joints are
- Perform a clinical diagnosis
- Draw up a care plan with short term and long term goals
- Offer physical therapy treatment based on physical exam and diagnosis results
- Offer self-care tips
Conditions Treated By Physical Therapists
Physical therapists can help in the treatment of a wide variety of medical issues. Some of these medical issues include:
- Cardiopulmonary conditions, such as post-myocardial infarction, cystic fibrosis, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Trigger finger and carpal tunnel syndrome
- Women’s health and pelvic floor issues, such as lymphedema, and urinary incontinence
- Musculoskeletal issues such as temporomandibular joint disorders, rotator cuff tear, arthritis, and back pain, among others
- Sports injuries such as tennis elbow, concussions, and hamstring injuries
- Pediatric issues such as muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, and developmental delays, among others
Benefits of Physical Therapy
There are many benefits that are associated with physical therapy. For instance, physical therapy can help a patient manage pain without the need for opioids or even surgery. After a major illness or surgery, a physical therapist can help a patient to regain mobility and function. Physical therapists can also help patients recovering from paralysis or stroke to be able to perform basic tasks such as bathing, dressing, and toileting. Last but not least, physical therapists are known for helping patients to improve balance and posture, which can significantly reduce the chances of suffering future injuries.
The Bottom Line
It is apparent that physical therapists play a significant role in the provision of healthcare services in the US. They work alongside other medical professionals to help patients recover from various illnesses and get back to their day-to-day activities in a more efficient way. Most of the patients are referred to them by other medical professionals,but you can also see a physical therapist without a referral. If you are looking for a reliable physical therapist in Las Vegas, NV, Battle Born Bone & Joint Center is an excellent facility to consider. Feel free to visit or contact them today for more information about the services that they offer.
What do you think?